DESIGNING THE PERFECT OUTDOOR SPACE
Australians love to live outdoors, and we are fortunate to have incredible weather that lets us enjoy the outside spaces of our homes for most of the year. If you are finding that you don’t use your balcony, terrace or backyard as often as you’d like to, take note of our list of helpful tips for transforming your outdoor area into your ideal outdoor living space.
1. Define the area you have to work with - The first step is to take a good look and measure what area you have to work with. Assess what you like, what currently works, and what doesn’t.
2. Consider what you want the space to be used for - It’s no good putting a couple of hanging chairs on your patio if you want to use the area to dine with friends and family. Consider carefully the space you have and think about how you want to be enjoying it. This will determine what furniture you’ll need, and any other accessories you may want to add, such as outdoor lighting.
3. Determine the style of your home’s interior - The outdoor areas of your home needs to work as an extension of what’s inside. Your outdoor area should work seamlessly with your indoor living areas, so keep this in mind when you are styling the space.
4. Use natural elements to create privacy - Many people don’t use their outdoor spaces due to privacy concerns. But by using screening plants, decorative stones or screen walls, you can create your very own private oasis even on an open balcony.
5. Choose the right landscaping elements - When decorating the space with plants, consider how much sun your patio/deck or terrace has and purchase plants that will thrive in these conditions.
6. Ensure there is a covered area - This will keep your guests and your furniture safe from the elements. Use umbrellas, awnings, gazebos or a pergola to create the shelter you want.
7. Consider your budget - Like any home renovation, you need to first determine how much you are able to spend before you start looking at what you want to achieve in the space. By developing your budget early it will be easier to stick to.
Take your time and enjoy the process. If you’re unsure of how to style the space, search online and browse through magazines to source some fun ideas to bring your outdoor entertainment area to life.