OUTDOOR PAVING - TURNING YOUR OUTDOORS INTO SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL
Browse through any house and garden design magazine and you are bound to see that outdoor paving has become an integral feature in most modern home designs.
These days outdoor paving is so much more than a couple of square or rectangular stone slabs laid in a linear pattern. Your choice of pavers can reflect your style and personality and add interest to a simply designed garden.
Without doubt, the exterior flooring of choice is pavers, so let’s have a look at how outdoor pavers can be used to enhance your home and garden.
- The most popular outdoor pavers are made using natural stone like slate, bluestone, travertine, sandstone or quartzite. By its very nature, natural stone paving blends effortlessly with its surroundings — shrubs, small trees or a water feature are all enhanced by the natural qualities of outdoor pavers.
- A natural transition from indoors to outdoors is easily achieved by using the same tiles. For example, natural stone tiles like sandstone or slate can be used equally effectively inside or outside, so it’s possible to integrate both rooms with no visual break, creating the feeling of an expansive space.
- Depending on the size of your garden, areas of interest can be created with the use of stone pavers. In large gardens, creating one or more paved zones using large outdoor paving tiles for different purposes converts an ordinary yard into something extraordinary.
- Another way to add interest is to create different layers. This often comes about as a natural result of an uneven substrate, so use these variations to include a raised garden bed or a series of small steps up to the dining table.
- Use outdoor pavers to create a meandering path between raised garden beds. Clever designing can create a magical pathway that leads to who knows where?
- Large outdoor pavers laid in a formal pattern look wonderful when interspersed with small plantings like mondo grass or a display of river pebbles. This gives the illusion of more space and adds impact to a small space.
- In a small garden, pavers can be used to create a mini outdoor paradise with a little creativity and imagination. Quirky patterns add interest, particularly if the lines are curved. Pale coloured pavers in a natural stone like sandstone add visual dimension to a small space. Colourful mosaics are not difficult to create and these can be used as a wall feature or included in the paving design.
- If the idea of doing garden maintenance makes your skin crawl, then outdoor paving is the ideal choice. Once the pavers are laid over weed-resistant matting, all you need do is add a couple of terracotta pots with a variety of colourful succulents and some comfortable chairs and you have the ideal area where you can enjoy the outdoors without any of the work!
When planning an exciting and useful outdoor environment, outdoor pavers make the perfect choice for flooring because they are non-slip, easy to clean and easy to maintain. What’s more, pavers reduce the need for regular mowing and weeding.
Consider what functions your outdoor room is being designed for before purchasing outdoor paving tiles. For example, if you are planning an entertaining area, ensure the pavers you choose are stain and water resistant. While the majority of outdoor pavers already have these qualities, the various types of stone used to create pavers have unique characteristics that make them better suited for specific purposes.
Another important consideration if you are planning an entertainment area is the substrate, which will need to be perfectly level if you are going to include furnishings.
The sepia toned images of desolate back yards with nothing to break the monotony of the browning lawn but the old Hills Hoist are long gone; replaced with modern, cutting edge features and colourful outdoor pavers that express your individuality and your desire for a serene environment where you can relax and enjoy the great outdoors.