When it comes to classic interior design, everything comes back to the foundations, and there’s nothing more elegant than a stone floor. The practice of using stone for interior flooring has been tried and tested over many years, so it should be no surprise that plenty of variety is available.
INTERIOR FLOORING OPTIONS
- Flagstone is a strong, visually unobtrusive stone that works perfectly for outdoor settings like pathways and patios.
- Granite is incredibly hard and scratch resistant, so it will last and won’t accumulate damage, plus it comes in a lot of different colours.
- Limestone is a soft stone, with a light colour that creates the feeling of space in small rooms and especially in the back room of home units that get little natural light.
- Marble is probably the best looking stone, thanks to the brilliant veins that run through it.
- Sandstone in natural split form has a textured surface, and it comes in a wide range of colours to suit any setting. Sandstone with a honed surface has a smooth, denim-like texture.
Remember that each stone looks different based on how it’s finished. Some finishes look better on certain kinds of stones.
- Polishing creates a shiny, appealing finish.
- Honed stone has a duller, matte look to it.
- Tumbled stone has an attractive, roughened surface that creates a rustic appearance.
- Flamed stone is heated and cooled rapidly to make a slip-resistant surface.