5 REASONS TO USE STONE IN YOUR BATHROOM RENOVATION
If you’re planning a bathroom renovation, you’ve undoubtedly got many ideas in your head as to the best materials to use. However, in my view, stone should be an easy choice. With its versatile use from bathroom renovations to outdoor pavers , stone is an under-utilised product that is quickly growing in popularity and becoming super trendy. In this article I’ll look at five reasons to use stone in your bathroom renovation.
1. Stone is durable
This one almost doesn’t even need to be said: there’s very little that’s more durable than stone. The inherent properties of stone make it durable to wear and tear, salt attack, stains and more. Note, however, that quality of stone is important as well; some stone materials are more durable than others, and that comes down to whether the stones in use have been tested for durability.
2. Stone is versatile
Stone can be used for flooring, walls, cladding and much more. Not only can it be used for a range of purposes, but it also comes in a range of colours, shapes and sizes, making it easy to pick and choose the perfect style for your bathroom renovation.
3. Stone is classy
If you’re looking to add a little bit of old world charm, class and majesty to your home — even in your bathroom — then stone is the perfect option. Stone has been used throughout the centuries and is still visible on the streets of some of Europe’s, North America’s and South America’s oldest cities. Combine a stone bathroom with some sandstone pavers in your front yard and you will achieve a consistent, classy appearance.
4. Stone is a great insulator
One of the best things about stone is that it heats slowly during the day and then radiates warmth at night, meaning that when you step out of that warm night time shower before you go to bed, the effects of cold air rushing onto your body won’t be as intense. Additionally, stone is nice and cool in the summer, which is why it’s a great choice if you’re living in hotter climates.
5. Stone adds value to your home
For all of the reasons already outlined and more, stone will add undeniable value to your home. If you’re looking to increase the value of your property, you should consider using stone in your bathroom renovation. As well as being durable, versatile, classy and a great insulator, it is also very fireproof, vermin-proof and resistant to rot, making it ideal for potential homebuyers.
Which type of stone is right for me?
Some of the different types and styles of stone you can use in your bathroom renovation include:
- Sandstone: Tough, durable, versatile and slip-resistant. Some sandstone is of poor quality, so ensure it is tested for density, water absorption, resistance to salt attack and slip-resistance. The right sandstone can be an amazingly impressive choice for your bathroom.
- Quartzite: Tough, dense, durable with perfect decorative qualities. It radiates beauty and is extremely low maintenance. Quartzite has low water absorption and low porosity, making it naturally resistant to stains. It also leaves minimal environmental footprint, too, as it’s untreated with chemicals during production.
- Limestone: Stunning, elegant, with an old-world charm, the earthy, neutral colours of limestone combine with a soft texture to give your bathroom character. Limestone has been used to build some of the most famous constructions in the world, from the Pentagon and White House to the Sphinx in Egypt.
- Travertine: This type of stone has warm, earthy colours from beige, bone and light tan to caramel and chocolate. It’s used in famous buildings around the world, from the Colosseum and Sacre Couer Basilica in Europe to the Getty Center in Los Angeles, USA
- Bluestone: Tough, resistant to wear and tear and great for structural work. Bluestone is dark, with colours generally involving black to grey, and is also very grippy, dense and versatile.